Thursday, August 13, 2009

My First Skirt

This is the finished product. It was supposed to be about 2 inched longer, but after I cut my fabric, I thought I cut it too narrow. I was wrong, because I ended up narrowing it down a bit. There's always next time. I added a better waist - the directions just had a little fold-over, but I didn't like that. That's one thing I don't like with the few skirts that I have now - they don't sit well on my belly (usually they end at a weird place and the elastic cuts the tummy in an un-flattering way). I added some extra fabric on the waist for an eye-and-hook clip, but I'm going to cut that a little shorter tonight so it sits a little better. Otherwise, I'd have to probably make a button hole & sew on a button.

This is my first attempt at a skirt. I think I'm going to avoid using a pattern for the next one. I'll to pick apart what I like about the skirts that I currently have and create something off of that. If I attempt this one again, I'm going to make it a little longer, and have it hug my hips a little more before it flows out. I don't know if you can tell in the picture below, but it cuts off right above the bottom of my knees.

1 comment: