Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Happy Birthday Elizabeth Rose!

My cousin turns 15 today (she's the tall one) and she has a great creative side to her. Yes, I bask in the glory when she asks me sewing advice - even though they called me a "new sewer" at JoAnn's yesterday. I didn't want to brag to them that I sewed neon green PJ pants when I was in middle school.

For you, Liz, I will show you details about my free-motion quilting since I mentioned it to you the other day. This is what I did to quilt the words into my black/white/hot pink table runner:
.
(1) I printed everything out from the computer so that the words would be uniform. I used a cursive font so I wouldn't have to cut the thread between each letter.
(2) I traced that onto tracing paper with a special marker whose ink will disappear. I've been told if I sew over the computer ink, the thread can pick it up and be permanently stained.
.
.
.
.


(3) I put the pedal to the metal and trace the words I have on the tracing paper. (Oh, so THAT's what tracing paper is used for.)







(4) Rip away excess paper, cut threads, make sure i's are dotted and you're done. PS - the white letters are part of the fabric. Don't get too excited that I sewed the alphabet into my quilt!

1 comment: