Thursday, August 20, 2009

Block of the Month

I have a co-worker (perhaps you know the story about how Mimi thought we were dating) that has been quilting for years. As a welcome-to-quilting gift for me, he bought me the first block in a block-of-the-month club a local sewing shop hosts. The rules are simple: it's a $5 buy-in, on the specified day the following month, you bring it in, show your creation, and get the next month's block. If you're late or you skip a month, it's another $5 for the next block. Despite the fact that I have a whole month to do it, I usually end up working on the block the night before it's due. I was lucky yesterday - because I've been getting into work early, I sewed most of it after work and before choir & kickball. I finished it up this morning while drinking my morning coffee. Did I remember to turn off the iron?

The two big things I've learned by doing this is to choose your fabrics wisely, and that I hate sewing triangles together. They look good from far away, but if you look closely, you'll see they're not all the same size! (Look at the bottom right corner.) I'll have to be creative when I figure out how I'm going to sew them all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment