Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How should I quilt it?

I finished my quilt top this weekend. Yes, it pretty much looks like the last picture I posted. I have a small dilemma though. I bought a darning foot, which allows me to move the quilt in any direction when I quilt it. This is a popular thing to do among quilters. I thought (to go with the non-traditional colors and fabrics) that it would be fun to quilt words - funny sayings or comments I've heard among my 25 years of life - and I will do this with neon pink thread. My issue is this: will it take away from the boldness of the colors and patterns if I write words over the seams, through the black, white, and black again? The back will look AMAZING, but I'm not so sure if this is the right idea for the front. Another option I have is to quilt these words/sayings on the longer strips in the log cabin squares. I'm not so hot for that one, but it's another option. What are your thoughts?

Here is a snapshot of my practicing with my new darning foot. I used a random scrap of red thread I had laying around to get some contrast.


1 comment:

  1. Hey, Shelley. The weight of your thread can be used to either make things stand out, or hide behind. If you use a 30 weight pink thread, it would stand up and scream and that would be the focus of your quilt rather than your piecing. But, if you use a 60 wt thread, it will practically disappear and you'll have to lean close to see what it says. I think the leaning close is what you're after. See ya' next week. Lane

    ReplyDelete