Monday, January 11, 2010

Hello 21st Century!

Recession? What recession? The parking lot of Best Buy was packed on Sunday afternoon. As I waited in line to check out, I noted several large purchases of the co-shoppers around me: A loaded GPS, several PS3's, Guitar Hero, a flat screen TV, etc. There I stood around them all with my measly $30 purchase.

I called my brother while at Best Buy (Yes, Mom, I am growing up!) to get his advice before I purchased. (I really don't know anyone who doesn't have cable.) The Best Buy guy was not very helpful because all he did was point down an aisle, so I wasn't going to ask him about the difference between the $10 and $30 models. I went with the $10 (of course!). What did I buy? I would like to announce that I am now in the 21st Century. Yes Virginia, I bought a TV antenna, so I now get your basic TV channels & in HD no less. (Can you see it up off to the right of my TV? Unless I want to watch MTV3, I'm going to retract & hide them behind the tele.)

Although I haven't had television for 3 years, I've come to a sad discovery: I'm old. I noticed myself pausing at a few different (less cool) stations to watch documentaries about how a hummingbird hibernates at night to conserve energy and the DNA of a woolly mammoth. Is anyone game for an early bird dinner tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment