Monday, December 14, 2009

The Round Rock

This weekend, I went to the Outlet Mall in Round Rock, TX. It's north of Austin, and if you're a Hofler, I can tell you that cousin Tom lives there. Now I don't know if Tom knows, but the city of Round Rock was named after... A round rock! Amazingly enough, the round rock is still there - in Round Rock. Prior to the name "Round Rock," this town was called "Brushy Creek." If you're sharp and guessed that there's a creek that runs through Round Rock called Brushy Creek, you'd be right! In fact, the round rock sits in the middle of Brushy Creek! The Postmaster really has some love of this round rock (thus the town name change) - he used to sit on the rock and fish.


If you didn't think a controversy would appear, you'd be wrong! With the two plaques that I read, one did not mention "Brushy Creek," but it mentioned "Old Town" - with quotation marks around Old Town. So there's a chance too that Round Rock was only referred to as Old Town and not Brushy Creek.





For the history lovers in my family, the plaques mentioned wagon wheels in the creek beds. (Insert oohing and aahing of friends and family members here.) And for those of you not in Austin (or in Austin and not an attendee of CPC), that other person in the pics is Elizabeth. I usually drag her along when I go to the outlet malls since she hates shopping as much as me. (That's not sarcasm, I really don't like shopping.) If it weren't for Elizabeth, I would not have been graced by the presence of the round rock in Round Rock, and I would have one less sarcastic blog post. Elizabeth, I am so grateful that I have Round Rock trivia to ask Tom about the next time I see him (which will probably be the next time his parents or my parents come into town).

1 comment: