Friday, December 18, 2009

It can be cold in Texas too!

I know, I know. The lake effect snow of Rochester is no comparison to the chilly 50 degree days that popped up in Austin. But, let me assure you, we've had some chilly nights and I've been attempting to wear a scarf daily. My collection is smaller since half is at my parents' house for the cold Christmas days when my Dad will proudly announce that he turned UP the heat to a mere 58 degrees because of guests. (I think it's just because he doesn't want to hear us complain!)
To get to my blog, and the point of this post... Some friends from church (shout out to Babita, Elizabeth, and Leah who love my blog) and I have pooled resources, time, and money to help a family in need. We've shopped (and sewed) for a 25-year-old single mother who's attempting to get her GED, and her two sons ages 7 years and 7 months. I opted to pick up some fleece (hooray for JoAnn's 50% off fleece since Thanksgiving) and get to work. I made a hat and scarf for each. I tried on the mom's hat - it fit pretty well! I'll have to get Emma to try on the baby hat to make sure it's not too big.

And I had plenty of extra fabric to make scarves for the mitten tree at church. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with young boys - only a few people expecting boys, and that's not for another few months. A baby hat & scarf in Texas in April won't be useful. Yes, I cut fringe for all the flower scarves.

No comments:

Post a Comment