Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My new quilting book!

I have a good friend that got engaged a couple of months ago, and the wedding is next summer. I've been dabbling at table runner quilts, I made a baby quilt, I think by January/February, I'll be ready to attempt my first wedding quilt. I want to do something with a more traditional look, because I think the bride-to-be likes the country look. I didn't want to do the wedding ring quilt, partially because I have a feeling it won't look symmetric, and partially because I fear doing too much of a free-hand design while doing the actual quilting. I've google imaged searched, looked for books in the sewing stores I frequently visit, and nothing popped out at me...
...until I went to Half Price Books. There, hidden in the shelves, was this $5 book with the perfect quilt on the front cover. Not only will I be able to work with a variety of sewing techniques, this screams "new home, new family." I might replace the vines on the right side of the house with a door - because it's a little weird to me that there isn't a door.

The only scary part about this quilt: The pattern is for a finished quilt of 7' x 8': Eek! The biggest I've done was the baby quilt which was probably 4'x4' (or 5'x5'?). Should I scale it down so it's more of a lap blanket? I could suggest to my mom that the antique rocking chair she'll buy for the couple (her favorite wedding gift to give) goes along with the theme of the quilt. Or, I could go all-out and quilt to my heart's content to make the biggest and best quilt yet. She is, after all, my best-church-friend from my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment