Saturday, June 19, 2010

A dress for Miss M

A coworker's daughter turned 1 not too long ago. I thought making a dress for her birthday would be a great way to start sewing in my sewing room. After looking at other people's ideas online for kids' dresses, I bought some fabric and made a paper pattern.

The mom requested something yellow, since baby M doesn't have very much of that color. This was pretty much the only pattern at JoAnn's that would work for a baby sundress. I bought some lighter yellow to line it too.

As I was cutting out the pieces, I had the great idea to make it reversible. Not just front/back reversible, but inside-out front/back reversible too! This is 4 dresses in 1 my friend, and if that little girl gets all 4 sides dirty, I'll know it'll be worth it!
I finished the dress, minus any flair. Baby M came over to make sure the dress fit and she was fascinated by my fish. I let the mom pick out the embellishments. She was on board with what I suggested - I just didn't want to overdo anything!
The blue belt took the longest - I had to do it by hand, sew in blue where the ribbon had a blue slash, and not go all the way through the dress. I should have done this before putting the dress together, but didn't think this far ahead. The bow is centered, so it can go in the front or the back.
The flower belt is removable for when it's inside-out, and it's held in place with two side loops. I wanted to bring in more of that flower pattern on this side - so adorable!

This dress took me quite a while to make. I loved the challenge and the ideas that came to my mind half-way through making it. With all the work I've put into it, I think I need to start making clothes for me (I have a few patterns & ideas).

No comments:

Post a Comment