Friday, November 13, 2009

A Weekend Away

Perhaps you have yet to hear about the craziness at work: picking up extra responsibilities because a co-worker got a new job, planning a conference in Cleveland that is next week, and having my deadlines fast approach (remember that 3.5 months I lost on a project? The deadline was supposed to be today, but now I have another 2 weeks because everything is BREAKING. 2 weeks is good, breaking is not good.)

Last weekend marked the first of three consecutive "out-of-Austin" weekends. My church planned a retreat to Mo Ranch, a Presbyterian-owned ranch in Hunt, TX (about 3 hours away from Austin). Just look at the view (and Chantal - she looked so at-peace, I had to take a picture)!


Lauren's voice popped into my head whenever I saw a cactus. She really wanted to see a real, wild cactus (non-landscaped) when she visited. Unfortunately, there weren't too many in the city of Austin, but I'm sure if we took a hike in the park, we would have seen some. Yes, this is a real-live cactus.

Carsickness likes to sneak up on me with long trips. My carpooling car-mates were nice enough to let me take the front seat both ways there. (It was after writing down 2 sets of Mad Libs that I had to stop and focus on the road.) To make up for it, Elizabeth took me off-roading. She went through this hedge, and we were surprised to see a footpath and basketball court. I'd have to say driving around in the dark, not knowing where we were going was one of the best parts of Mo Ranch.


There was a butterfly bush right outside my building. I stood there for about 10 minutes trying to get some good pictures. Then my camera battery died because I hadn't charged it in a LONG time! I love the contrast of the purple & green.


Little Emma seems to be in a lot of my blogs. The 6-month-old has an obsession with pulling hair and touching things. She sat down next to me, and quickly reached over to touch my head. In this picture, I think she was baptizing me.


I was happy to see some trees with changing leaves. We don't have green grass in Texas - it's too dry. But here, at Mo Ranch, I can say "the sky is always bluer." (This is by far my favorite picture.)






No comments:

Post a Comment