Wednesday, November 25, 2009

My Next (Ongoing) Quilt Project

When I was home in Rochester last week, my mom gave me a quilt her mother started. (Hi Grandma!) After the use of Google search, I think it's called a Necker Cube pattern. I love the mathematics behind quilting, and I've always had it in my head to eventually incorporate optical illusions into some of my quilts.
I discovered that EVERYTHING has been done by hand - piecing all those diamonds together must have taken a while! (I also brought back a hoop that was used to hand quilt this.) And quilting it - no wonder my mom never attempted to work on it! This is going to be a big project for me - and I will not use my machine on any of it.
.
The quilt is in descent shape. There's one brownish fabric that has literally dissolved. And some of the off-white fabric is stained (both are in the picture below). The good part is that most of these diamonds are in areas that aren't quilted yet, so I can go in, cut them out, and hand-sew new diamonds. There are one or two stained ones that I might want to replace that are smack-dab in the center of the quilting. I might have to think about how much time that will take to un-do and re-do. Could I first try hand-washing them out? I did take a few fabrics from my mom that might fit nicely into this quilt, but it might take some time to find the right off-white since it's used in ever trio of diamonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment