Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Wedding Ring Pillow

Well, the wedding quilt took up too much of my time in Austin before the wedding. Even though I told Lauren I'd make a ring pillow, I didn't start on it until I was in NY 3 days before the wedding. An overall idea of what the bride wanted: a lot of folds, preferably round, with a button in the middle, piping around the edges, and the top & bottom to be the same. The requested size was small (which meant a different size depending on who and when you asked), with the color of off-white and satin. Not too hard, right?

Wrong. Working with satin is far different than what I'm used to, my ideas kept changing, and it took 2 days to get this thing made. I kept wanting to change the design and material. Would Lauren notice if I bought a ring pillow from Michaels or JoAnn's?


Try after try, we ("we" describes my mom & I because I really would have ventured to Michael's) ended up buying more fabric. In the middle of it, we gathered a few inches of fabric, sewed it up tight, and stitched it down. this is how the bunching came into play. By then, we excluded the piping, it wouldn't have worked. We ended up wrapping the fabric around to the backside, and I lightly stitched it together. Goodness, what do you do with a giant chunk of fabric that's gathered on the back of a pillow? Make a big button to cover it, of course! This button faintly had the bride & groom's initials on it (another request).

Overall, I'm a bit surprised I didn't chunk the pillow down the aisle as I walked in with it after all of my frustration on all of those attempts. From now on, I'm going to sew things my way, with my fabrics. And I think I'll stick with cotton. I'm comfortable with that.


And yes, I was the ring bearer. I was informed of that the day I started making the pillow. I guess I'm not the only last-minute-to-share-plans one in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment