Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Adventures in Zurich

It has been a long time since I blogged, but I need to show my family my European Adventures!  The first stop was Zurich.  We spent 2 nights in a business hotel, two blocks from the train station.  Despite the fact that we had 36 hour transit passes (buses, trains, trams, and a few boats), we walked for miles our first day.  My favorite was Old Town Zurich: cobblestone paths, streets too narrow for cars, flags posted every where.


The heart of Zurich sits at the top of a lake, with a river running through it.  We climbed the spiral staircase in the Grossmunster (the Protestant church) tower: oh the views!  Pictured above is the view across the river from Grossmunter, and below a view from the tower.  I just loved looking at the houses, check out the chevron patterns!

 We took a train to Kilchberg to head to the Lindt chocolate factory.  You might think of chocolate when you think of Switzerland, but they sadly closed the "Chocolate Museum" and didn't have any tours available.  I guess there aren't a lot of American tourists in Zurich.  I was able to restrain myself from taking pictures of workers on break. As we approached the Lindt Outlet Store, the air smelled like chocolate.  I think I gained 5 pounds just crossing the street!  As we walked, there were flowers in most of the windows.  I just love the Swiss flags!


 We took a train to the top of a hill, with a view of Zurich.  What I didn't know was that after the train there were miles and miles of hiking trails available. 
 We were able to have dinner with a view of Lake Zurich.  I had the best dinner: large spaetzel wrapped in spinach topped with crisp prociutto in a cream sauce.  I like it so much the chef wrote down the name.  (I said too many English words that none of the servers knew.  They told me to use the internet for a recipe.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment