Friday, September 23, 2011

Blankets for Babies

I'm not going to lie. Crocheting scarves is the only thing I used to be able to do. Then two years ago, I learned how to crochet a circle. Naturally, my next project was making collegiate koozies.

Last December, crocheting gave me comfort. I crocheted a hat & scarf, but needed a bigger project. I made a simple baby blanket - shades of pink from just one skein. There was nothing to it: I just pretended it was a really wide scarf.


Then my sister got pregnant (insert some sort of sarcastic "way to go") and I wanted to step up my skills. I can't give my little nephew a "wide scarf." I wanted to make it more special. I went online to learn how to crochet granny squares, picked my favorite (and the easiest) pattern, and started going at it. I combined the idea of quilting (the checkered pattern) and crocheting together, and came up with this yellow & white piece. Not too shabby, huh?


I found out another friend was pregnant, so I crocheted another blanket. This time, I alternated the blue and white rows instead of making small squares and stitching them together later.


And now, a neighbor is expecting a boy - any suggestions? Should I pick a new pattern?

No comments:

Post a Comment